Wright-Locke Farm’s education programs for teens and adults are a great way to learn practical skills related to healthy living, small-scale agriculture, and the wonders of nature. All workshops take place either in our historic 1827 Barn on the Farm (unheated / not air conditioned) or in the kitchen at Saint Eulalia’s Parish (50 Ridge Street- right down the street from the Farm) and are open to individuals ages 14+ unless stated otherwise. We hope you can join us for one or more workshops this growing season!
Instructions for Adult Program Registration
1. Log into or create your account via WLFarm.org. Making an account is quick and easy! We just need some basic information about yourself. If you would like to change any of these pieces of information at any time, you may do so by logging into your account.
2. Please be sure to read our Adult Education Program Terms below for more information on our payment and refund policy, photo and video policy, and liability statement.
3. Register for an adult program! Click on the REGISTER NOW! links below to sign up for a program. You will be asked to enter the number of people you wish to register for the program (including yourself or children, if applicable) and enter the first and last names of those being registered in the Guest Information fields. You will be given the option to pay immediately by credit card or to pay later; we recommend opting to “pay later” if signing up for multiple programs so that you may pay for all programs with one credit card transaction at Make Payment (check payment can also be mailed in lieu of credit card payment).
Contact our Education Director with any questions.
Spring 2018 Programs
• Guided Bird Walk: Spring Migrants
Beautiful migrating songbirds are visiting Wright-Locke Farm now and will only be around for a few more weeks! Join us for a guided walk this month to check out the species that are passing through our fields and woods. Long-time birder and Mass Audubon instructor Ben Flemer will help us look, listen and identify birds on the farm. Tuesday May 15 or 29 from 10:30am-12pm. $10/person.
Click on the date to register: May 29th.
• Yoga at the Farm in the 1827 Barn!
Savor the beauty of the Spring, Summer and Fall with seasonal yoga classes in the historic barn at Wright-Locke Farm. Local instructor Brittney Burgess (brittneyburgess.com/about) will guide you through a powerful vinyasa flow aimed to create energetic and physical alignment for your mind and body. Set to the backdrop of the fields, step away from the hustle of everyday life and access the transformative power of movement, stillness and breath. All levels are welcome. Bring your mat and yourself and soak in the serene setting of the farm! Click on a date to register.
• The Therapy of Being in the Forest, a.k.a. “Forest-Bathing”
Join us in one of the most inspiring trends in Nature Therapy called Shinrin-yoku, which translates to “forest bathing”. There’s no water involved, instead we will immerse ourselves in the sights, sounds and atmosphere of natural environments by slow walking. Studies have proven the health benefits of guided slow walks where we take time to reconnect with the natural world and forget about the stress of a modern, high-tech life. The joy of forest bathing is that it is not a hike or naturalist walk. It’s about strengthening your life-long friendship with Nature. Be inspired and take a slow walk with us! The Forest is the Therapist. The Guide Opens the Door. Approximately 2 hours. Led by Lisa S. Mediano, Certified Forest Therapy Guide. Wear comfortable clothing and appropriate footwear for walking. Cost: $10 per person. Select a date and time to register.
Morning Walk: Wednesday, June 20, 8-10am
Afternoon Walk: Monday, June 25, 4-6pm
Stay tuned! More upcoming workshops will be listed soon! Other spring programs may include the following subjects: organic gardening and composting, seasonal edible and medicinal plant foraging, edible mushroom cultivation, raising backyard chickens and honey bees, spring wreath making, and culinary skills workshops emphasizing healthy meal preparation and food preservation using local and seasonal foods. Email FarmEd@wlfarm.org with questions or for more information.
Adult Program Terms
Please carefully read these policies prior to submitting your registration. Contact our Education Director with any questions.
Payment & Refund Policy:
- Online payments can be made via the following credit or debit cards: Visa, MasterCard, Discover
- Those who opt to “pay later” at registration must submit payment at least 2 days prior to a workshop to be guaranteed their spot.
- Full tuition refunds minus a $5 administrative fee are guaranteed up to 7 days prior to a workshop.
- A 50% tuition refund is guaranteed up to 3 days prior to a workshop.
- No tuition refund is given for participant cancellations within 2 days of a workshop or for failure to attend a workshop.
- A full tuition refund will be given in the event Wright-Locke Farm cancels a workshop.
Photo & Video Policy:
- The Conservancy may take photos and digital video footage of activities throughout the educational program season for record keeping and publicity purposes. Participant names are never used in connection with these photos or videos.
Liability Statement (Permission for the Conservancy to handle emergencies):
- I realize injuries can occur from participation in Farm programs. I hereby waive, release, absolve, indemnify, and agree to hold harmless the Wright-Locke Farm Conservancy, Inc., their Board of Directors, instructors, or assignees, and the Town of Winchester from any claim arising out of injury to myself. Should I be taken to the hospital for emergency purposes, I hereby grant permission to the attending physician and staff to administer anesthesia, medical, X-ray, and surgical procedures as may be deemed necessary or advisable.